Soda Biscuits Plain or
Garlic Cheese Flavor
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
2 cups White All Purpose Self-Rising Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoon sugar
About 1 full cup buttermilk or milk
1/2 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
1. HEAT oven to 425-F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix flour with sugar and baking soda into large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or potato masher until crumbs are the size of peas. Blend in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.
3. TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2 to 3 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut using floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart for crisp sides or almost touching for soft sides.
4. BAKE 13 minutes or a couple minutes longer until golden brown.
Makes 12 Biscuits
1. GARLIC CHEESE BISCUITS: Stir in 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese before adding milk. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Brush on warm biscuits.